If we would have peace grow in the world, we must plant it first in our own gardens.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Beginnings

My earliest memories are vague at best, they evade me and lie hidden in the back corners of my mind. Sometimes it feels like my mind was a chalkboard that someone took an eraser to, and all that remains is the dust and the faint outlines of what had been sketched on it then.

My first recollections of the Hollow seem to begin on a summer day long ago. People were standing around and talking, and I was angry at them all. Everything about my life at that point was confusing. Things kept changing, the people in my life kept changing; now here I was again in a new place, with people who told me they were my family and that this was my new home. It was a lot for someone who was only four years old to take in and deal with, so I drew my pistol and threatened to shoot their chickens if they didn't leave me alone. My cowboy hat, my boots, my pistol and my anger were some of the only things that I had that helped make up my identity. I had no idea where my mother or father were, and was only vaguely aware of my brother and sisters presence. Somehow though, I remember the sun was shining and the breeze was blowing, rustling the green leaves on the trees. Trees and cool air and open space, like the first time I had ever experienced them together. Maybe the magic of memories has shaped that day in my mind, or maybe it was really so, but that day started my memories and shaped many of the days that followed.

4 comments:

  1. Your opening is almost prose. It is perfect and I can feel your search. I really like this piece and hunger for more of the story. You even include the rememberance of bloswing, rustling leaves on a trees. A striking metaphor. Because you as a child were blowing around, things changing like the wind in your little life. I love the 'shooting chickens remark.' So precious.

    I do indeed like this. Keep writing my dear friend. I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the kind words Chris! I truly appreciate it. I've been trying to get this story started for years now, and now that that's done, I've just got to keep it rolling. ;)

    Glad to know you enjoyed it; there's lots more to come yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. It really pulled me in. Very visual. Thanks for inviting me I will look forward to reading more. - Mardra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by and for the kind words Mardra! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete